In this 100-hour intensive we will focus in the integrative approach to mind/body through the body’s physiology. In Part two, Tara will join with two guest teachers – doctor/yogi Lawrence Cheng, and anatomy/pranayama/ yoga therapist James Newman. This section will dive deep into the deeper layered landscape of body systems from an integrative medical perspective, and into the traditional practices of pranayama.
Sections covered on Deep Physiology + Systems Medicine: Dr. Lawrence Cheng
- The Future of Medicine: Integrative + Functional Medicine: A systems biology approach that looks for the root causes of illness that seeks to restore health by rebalancing core systems. The Future of Medicine will be: Personalized, Preventive, Predictive and Participatory.
- The Science of why we age: Understanding the key underlying processes of inflammation, oxidation and glycation (effect of excess carbohydrates) on body structure and function.
- The Science of Epigenetics: “your genes are not your fate”, how you live your life each and every day profoundly effects the way your DNA is translated into both structure (cell membranes, tissues, organ systems) and function (biochemistry and physiology).
- Gastrointestinal Function and optimal health: Understanding how important optimal gut function is to overall health. Understanding the relationship between gut dysfunction and many chronic diseases. Modern science is beginning to validate what the ancient healing traditions have always known – that digestion plays a key role in systemic disease.
- Hormone / Endocrine systems: Understanding the complex hormonal systems – Hypothalamic, Pituitary, Adrenal, Thyroid and Gonadal axis. Understanding the physiology of stress being a key trigger for hormonal dysfunction and illness.
- Cardiometabolic: Understanding the circulatory system and metabolism.
- Food as medicine: food is much more than calories for energy, food should be thought of an informational molecules that interact directly with your biochemistry. Latest nutrition and supplement recommendations.
- Neurophysiology / the science of neuroplasticity / our entire being as a sensing organ / how to optimize cognitive health and function.
- Immune system: Psychoneuroimmunology / mind-body medicine – the latest evidence.
- A systems View of Life: the essential interrelatedness and interdependence of all life systems – what is the true meaning of wholeness and health.
By participating in this Advanced Yoga Immersion, you are eligible to receive 100 hours towards your YogaLila School of Yoga 300 hours Advanced Training. Nevertheless, any advanced yoga practicioner is more than welcome to join this immersion and will be credited with Continuing Education Units (CEU).